Thursday, October 23, 2008

One is the loneliest number

There is only one gorilla in this entire sub-continent of a country. His name is Polo and he is 36 years old. He was a gift from the Dublin Zoo. The folks here are trying to find him a sweetheart, but none of the other zoos in the world want to part with their gorillas. He has been "alone" since 2000, the year his former gal pal, Sumathi, died.

From the article...

"He is not very happy. The few joys he enjoys are bathing and searching for food that his keeper hides in blocks of ice or in bamboo to keep him energized," Singh said.

For the prospective mate, Singh says Polo is good-natured and responds to commands in both the local Kannada language and English. (Polo is also 6 feet tall, dark-haired and bilingual.)

"He is in fine health, but lonely," Singh said. "After eight years, anyone would be."

Too bad there is no speed dating for gorillas. And guess where I read this? On the Houston Chronicle website!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

AHhhh.... him and me both. Polo, I feel your pain.

vofbaca said...

This is so funny! Thanks for encouraging my blogging! :)

faithhopelove11 said...

MITZI! I went to the ARt Music Justice concert last night and it was AWESOME> It really inspired me. I so wish you could have been there. Sara Groves , Brandon Heath, all of the musicians did a wonderful job. It was so touching. I am gonna visit the IJM office in Manila Philppines in January.
miss you!
Tricia