Saturday, October 18, 2008

Hair Fall

You remember how I told you that people said my hair would fall out here? Well, they were right. It has been frightening for me (and Jerry) to see all my hair on the bedroom floor, clogging up the bathroom drain and in my hairbrush. People also said that the hair fall would be very noticeable to me, but not to those around me, which has been the case.

The reason for the hair fall (the phrase used here) is the bad quality of water. There are lots of minerals and some arsenic in the water here. I have even heard of some expats using bottled water to shower/bathe. And it is not just expats who are affected. I see many commercials on TV for products to prevent hair fall all the time. And interestingly enough, I see product displays for these "solutions" in places like bookstores.

Last month I had an ayurvedic body massage, which is basically ayurvedic herbal oils massaged into your skin all over your body, including your scalp. Well, I noticed that my hair did not seem to fall out as much after that. Then, I learned that several of my co-workers massage oil into their scalps at least once a week and leave it in overnight. So, guess what? I am doing that now, too. And guess what? It is working! Here is a picture of the oil I am using. And Himalaya is pronounced "hi-MAH-lee-ah" here. The featured ingredients are bhringaraja, amalaki, methi, neem and bilva.

Revitalizing Hair Oil

2 comments:

Euneeq said...

Fascinating....

vofbaca said...

Your hair falls out after a baby too!
I wonder if it would work for that too? Those ingredients are interesting... the only one I have heard of is Neem oil.