Monday, September 24, 2007

Day 1

We have arrived! So far, this city in South Asia reminds me a lot of China. Even though monsoon season is pretty much over, we came on a VERY rainy day. It was even raining in the airport (a leak), and we had to walk through a few puddles. It is a good thing we brought galoshes. Near our guesthouse it floods easily, so the rain boots were good to wade through ankle high water.

Our guesthouse is growing on me. I am not yet comfortable walking around without slippers. The bathroom leaves much to be desired, but it is rather spacious at least. It is one of those places where you place your key in this thing to turn on the electricity. So, no coming home to a nice, cool room. You've got to put the key in and then wait a while for the room to cool. We also have a fridge; can you imagine the effect that the electricity control has on it?

It has been a while since I have had to brush my teeth with bottled water. It is also strange to have a fear of opening your mouth in the shower so you do not ingest any water.

We met up with some friends and went to church, Grace Church at the Salvation Army. We knew all of the songs except one. The pastor is from Rochester, NY; he and his wife have been here for 19 years.

Shopping was exhausting. My arms and chest are too big for the clothes. While we waited for my clothes to be tailored, we went to a very western-style coffee shop. My leg did not fare very well with all of the shopping and walking. I am looking forward to LOTS of rest so my leg can heal in time for my trip to Spain.

We went to bed at 7pm. It is only 4:41pm right now, but I could go to sleep.

We are definitely not physically comfortable, but we've met some truly wonderful people already and are seeing how God is working here.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Welcome to your new home!! I have been thinking of you both all weekend. So glad you have arrived safely. Love, Debbie