Tuesday, July 7, 2009

There is a first time for everything

I have a boil. It is on my arm. Near my wrist. It is gross and painful. When I think of boils, I think of the ten plagues from the Old Testament - remember Moses and Pharaoh? How is it that I have a boil?

But I do. And I have learned that lots of people get them here. It's because of the heat.

At least several times a day, I think to myself, "I have a boil. I can't believe I have a boil."

And at least several times a day, I hold up my arm to Jerry and say, "I have a boil."

I tried taking a picture, so you could see it, but the photo does not do justice to the real thing. I did not even know what boils looked like until I got one. It started off looking like a pimple, but then the skin around it swelled up, turned red and hurt like heck. I asked around and was told I have a boil.

I have a boil. I can't believe I have a boil.

4 comments:

Tari said...

Ouch! The boys used to get a lot of them and they stink! Make sure you keep an eye on it to see if it gets really big and/or you see red lines running from it - if that happens, get thee to a doctor, quick. Once it starts to drain hydrogen peroxide really helps get it over with quickly. There. I'm not a doctor but I play one on Blogger. :)

Oh, and the best doctor's boil treatment we ever had was in Mexico - beat the TCH doctors hands down. Go figure.

Tricia said...

Hi Mitzi, how many centimeters is it in diameter? Try putting warm compress on it three times a day to help it come to a head, such that the head could drain spontaneously. If its large, you may need to go to a doctor to drain it with local anesthesia and a blade. Of course, if fevers, chills, worsening redness occurs go to the doctor. Sometimes these boils can get out of control, cause spreading skin infection with systemic symptoms, thus necessitating oral or even IV antibiotics.

Saba said...

One of our friends got boils on her chest! Crazy. Hope yours heals soon.

Saba said...

One of our friends got boils on her chest! Crazy. Hope yours heals soon.