Wednesday, February 3, 2010

USA living after S ASIA living

Well, we are back in the USA and thus, I have changed one word in the title of our blog. Did you notice it? Well, since this was my forum for sharing about our transition TO S Asia, I decided to keep it as my forum for our life FROM S Asia. Here's my first post on this new topic:

Let's go Krogering!

First, let me say that I love Kroger - especially the one near our house. It was recently renovated to compete with HEB's Buffalo Market and I like all of the additions, particularly the coffee shop on the second floor that looks over the fresh food section. Love it!

Anyway, my first trip there after moving back was a little harrowing. I'd been to Kroger during previous visits back to Houston, but this was the first time shopping for groceries other than snacks and drinks. I was all discombobulated while trying to figure out what a good price was for things like produce and fruit. It was really bothering me. (My sister sagely opined that maybe it was because in S Asia we were always having to worry about paying exorbitant prices because we were foreigners. And I was carrying this over to the fresh food section at Kroger.)

Plus, there are SO MANY choices for everything! From different brands to sizes to convenience packaging to caloric/fat content. Too many choices and the store is huge. We were at Kroger for over two hours, I think, and we did not even fill a basket.

Then, it was time to pay. We went to the self-scan machine and I got unreasonably upset again. Jerry and I used to have a rhythm and we'd forgotten it. Well, we were getting in each others' way and getting on each others' nerves. Needless to say, we have decided to use the live cashier until we get our act together.

That was our first visit. Subsequent visits have gone better, although I am trying to remaster the art of using coupons. That has been a little crazy - trying to match the coupons with what the stores have on sale and remembering that the stores come out with new ads on Wednesdays and the coupons come with the Sunday paper. And I had completely forgot about double and triple coupons. There is so much to relearn.

There's much more we're readjusting to and I hope to post something at least once a week.

P.S. If you have couponing tips, I am very open to your suggestions. Gotta be frugal!

3 comments:

Euneeq said...

I totally hear your frustration Mitzi. It's part of adjusting back to life here. It happens to me when I've just been away for a month and a half, so I can imagine how it must be for y'all! Hang in there! Breathe and take it one step at a time! Maybe you can separate your shopping trips: one day for produce, one day for dairy, etc. They also have these little coupon organizers (or just get those accordion file folders/bill holders -- the small version of course; I can just imagine the hilarity of the huge ones!). Maybe you can get one and label them by categories of products and make a section for the store ads if needed.

KaylaB said...

www.southernsavers.com

hit it up!!!

praying for your transition and jerry's work desires...
love ya!
kayla

Saba said...

I love this post - it very much captures grocery shopping apres life abroad! And I love that you have blogged about grocery shopping at least two times (that I know of).