Tuesday, May 12, 2009

My husband said so

I went by myself to cancel our membership at BigFlix, a DVD rental place, primarily because we do not rent enough to justify the monthly fee and we have already lost one movie.

When I told the clerk I wanted to cancel, he tried to persuade me not to. Then I told him why and he tried to persuade me again. Then I said that I just wanted to cancel and then he tried to persuade me again. Finally, I had to resort to, "My husband says we are canceling." That did the trick.

It is pretty interesting how women are identified through their husbands and fathers. On almost any application and definitely any gov't application, if you are a woman, you have to write your father's name or husband's name and occupation. Women are commonly announced as "wife of" or "daughter of" so-and-so.

I could go on and on about the treatment of women, but it's my birthday!!! Hooray for me - I love being a woman!

2 comments:

The Lenz Family said...

Happy Birthday! I hope you had a terrific day!

Always,
James, Syd, and Andrew

mommapao said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! I can't wait to talk to you later tonight!
On the husband thing - I use his name when the fire or police dept call asking for donations. But he uses mine when shopping for big ticket items. We both say that we need to discuss it with our spouse, which we do, but telling them that seems to get people off our backs. So if you ever ask us anything and we give you that answer, you know what we mean!