Monday, March 2, 2009

Dog Service and Tiger Security

First, thanks for praying for my friend, Jodie. A bone marrow donor has been found!! Can you believe it? A one in a million chance and a match was found. She is still waiting for final approval and a transplant date. Yea!

And now... for a tidbit about S Asia. Whenever I call for someone to work on the A/C or electrical stuff or whatever is broken in my flat, several men show up to assess the problem. They are always accompanied by this uniformed man who has a police badge looking patch on his shirt that says, "DOG SERVICE & TIGER SECURITY" Now, there are tons of stray dogs here (and lots on my street because of some crazy lady who keeps feeding them) and we are a few hours from a national tiger preserve, but really, I have no idea what this patch means. I really wish I had the nerve to ask the man if I could take a picture of his patch so I could post it here. He is a pretty friendly chap, but I would still feel weird about it. And I really really wish I knew enough Bangla to ask him what the patch means. The only thing I can think of is that he comes to make sure I am safe, since I am typically home by myself when these service people come. But why dogs and tigers???

Ya know, I think posting this blog has given me the guts to ask the next time he comes. But wouldn't it be amazing if I never had to call a service person to my flat again?!

No comments: