Thursday, March 13, 2008

In Bangkok

After my last post, I thought I would post twice a week. And I see it has been over a month! Well, if you saw our last email update, you know why. I have even been keeping a list of things to blog about - right now it is up to 15. I hope to catch up on all those posts during our vacation to Cambodia and Thailand.

Why these places? Well, we have friends there and I prefer to visit places where I know someone. One of my friends I have not seen in over 10 years and she lives in Cambodia now.

Right now, we are in Bangkok, on a 9 hour layover on our way to Phnom Penh. We will be there until the 17th, then fly back to Bangkok and then over to Chiang Mai until the 22nd and then back to Bangkok, then on to K. Crazy schedule, eh? Well, it was half the cost to fly in and out of Bangkok instead of flying directly to Phnom Penh and Chiang Mai.

We really need this vacation and already it is proving to be a great one. As we left the Thai Airways plane, we got on a very nice, A/C shuttle to the terminal. Remember my shuttle ride when I landed in K, coming back from Madrid? 'Nuff said. Anyhow, I was marveling at how nice the Bangkok airport is and getting very excited about not having to bring my own toilet paper to use the airport bathroom.

We are hanging out at an airport hotel. It is a free 5 minute shuttle from the airport here and quite nice. We bought a half day's worth of wireless connectivity and after lounging in the lobby for a while talking to my dad on skype, Jerry suggested going to the business center where we could plug in and juice up the laptop. This business center is really nice. In addition to comfortable seating, there is a little library of books, magazines and newspapers to read.

We checked the weather for Phnom Penh and Chiang Mai. PP will be in the upper 80s and CM in the mid 90s, just like K. Oh well... We hear that CM is a great place for expats to rest and rejuvenate. I'll tell you all about it later!

No comments: