Saturday, February 2, 2008

The way things work/don't work here

The pollution is literally killing us. We've been getting sick at least twice a month and it is quite discouraging. Our hometown of Houston is known for its "horrible" pollution that rivals L.A. each year for most polluted city in the U.S. However, you cannot even imagine the levels of pollution here. I would have to say that the pollution is THE #1 negative thing about being here. I had never seen black cobwebs indoors before coming here. Anything plastic develops this layer of oily dirt on it after a day of sitting anywhere inside. In the nicer stores, the clerks are constantly wiping down the merchandise with towels to get the grime off. I could go on and on and on and on about other pollution-related things, but I am straying from my original topic - the way things work/don't work here.

We decided that we desperately needed to get an air purifier for our place. I had been told by many people that they just are not available here; no one I asked had ever seen one. This past week we went to a brand new swanky mall and a store there had an air purifier for $500. Since that seemed too costly, I used my questioning skills to extract information from the salesman about other air purifiers in the city. I asked him, "So, how is your purifier better than the other ones on the market?" He proceeded to tell me about other brands!!

Jerry looked up one of these brands on the net and found that they have two models, one for $165 and another $250. Still pricey, but less than $500. And this is our health we are talking about here. I would be afraid to see what my lungs look like after I move back home. Anyhow, here is where the inspiration for this post comes in...

The products can only be purchased through direct marketing, meaning that stores do not carry them; you have to contact a licensed distributor and get it from him. The website said, "Click here for a free in-home demonstration!" We requested a demo and the next day we were told that a rep would be coming by sometime before 3pm. We hurried through our lunch to get back for the demo and the guy never showed up. We were then told that he would come sometime before 5:30pm. Still nothing.

The next day he finally comes WITHOUT the air purifiers and just some brochures. Jerry told him that he wanted to see a demonstration. The guy replies, "I bring these brochures. You like, you buy." WHAT??? So Jerry says, "I want to see it working. I want to hear how loud it is going to be. On your website it says, "Click here for a free in-home demonstration." The guy just sort of looks at Jerry with this annoying smile/head bobble. Jerry goes, "You need to change your website then." His response - another head bobble/blink. They start talking about specs and Jerry ends with, "You need to come back next week with both of the models." He responds with something like, "I will bring and then you will buy." As if he is going to bring two brand-new units that he expects us to purchase.

Do they even have demo units? Probably not. But Jerry did add that he came on a motorcyle. Whatever. This experience makes me more appreciate the Will Smith character in Pursuit of Happyness.

No comments: